11.25.2006

Not That It Would Have Helped Last Night

I have always been a touch obsessed with the idea of making the ice rinks in the NHL wider. Given the size and speed of today's players, I feel like all the rule changes in the world aren't going to get the NHL game back to the offensive glory days of the 1980's that Gary Bettman so desperately longs for. Back in May, over on the Opossum-Palooza, I did a quick, decidedly unscientific, study of what the impact of a wider rink would be. I'm bringing it up again now because I was down on the glass, thanks to a very generous client of mine, last Wednesday for the Capitals' game against the Bruins.

When I wrote that piece at the O-P, I guesstimated that a wider ice rink would result in 22 new front row seats. Looking at my ticket from last Wednesday's game, I can tell you that front row seats are worth $225 a pop.

$225 x 41 games a year x 22 new seats = $202,950 a year in added revenue

Obviously, this fails to take into account the overall decrease in the number of tickets available, but I have no doubt the seats that disappear as a result of a larger ice surface would be those of the inexpensive variety.

As for the numbers I wasn't able to particularly quantify back in May: concession sales. This time around, I went to the game with one of the sales reps from a brand we sell at my store. He has a large expense account. Given the outrageous price of food and alcohol inside the Phone Booth, I would guess that, during the course of the game, the four people in my group (including myself) probably drank at least $30 worth of beer. This is a rather conservative estimate because the truth is, I hang out with some serious drunks. This is also not counting the various libations we consumed while up in the Acela Club during intermissions, or down at the Johnny Walker Coaches Club after the game. All told, the total amount we spent on food and drinks probably came to at least $200. Bringing the adjusted total dollar figure for each ticket to roughly $275.

$275 x 41 home games x 22 new seats = $248, 050

Again, my little study here is decidedly flawed, but I think it probably paints a pretty good picture of the overall added value of a wider rink. Especially since it doesn't take into consideration the increase in size of the second or third rows, which are also outrageously-priced expense account country. It also doesn't take into account the cost of converting an arena from the current layout to the new larger rink layout. All I'm trying to say is that, when looked at a little more closely, the issue of wider rinks needn't be simply an issue of increasing the game's aesthetic value, it could potentially increase the league's bottom line.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My kids are on their way to become better than Kevin Hatcher, we just finished our first winter skating season using our own backyard portarinx, we bought the rinx out of a catalogue Hammerach Schumler! Easiest thing to setup and take down uses pvc pipe and a cool fastening system every parent ought to have a portable rinx!

Anonymous said...

Watch out there is some guy online jumping on people's posts and claiming to have invented Porta Rinx LOL

I cant believe how slimey some people are BE CAREFUL there is this guy Renzelo in Vermont that claims to have invented the name Porta Rinx I only know about him because he jumped all over a post I made to a web discussion about porta rinx kits.

When I checked out this Renzello guys website portarinx.com he has this big "web warning" on his site claiming someone is "slandering" his product name and claiming he is the only porta rinx dealer on the planet and that he has been doing it for 10 years. What a joke!

I made a nice post regarding the prota rinx our family has been building since 1971 and this guy Renzelli from Montpeleir Vermont snaps back challenging my post.

We all just want to "Warn People" not to get ripped off and scammed by the Vermont USA company run by this Damien Renzelle. This guy did not "invent" porta rinx and it looks like he does nothing more than repackage the porta rinx PVC kit sold in magazines but this guy takes a 200 dollar rink and resells it for two thousand dollars!

Here is a real web warning I googled this guys name :"Damian J. Renzello" and I found this "Fraud Against the Government is Rampant in Vermont According to Court Documents" http://express-press-release.com/35/Fraud%20Against%20the%20Government%20is%20Rampant%20in%20Vermont%20According%20to%20Court%20Documents.php I hadnt read the whole thing but would guess this guy who claims to have invented porta rinx has been ripping off more than just your average hockey family claiming to have invented porta rinx The article says Renzello deliberately falsified some documents to defraud the Unted States Judicary! This has got to be the same joker that is postin stuff on my posts. The article also tells that Renzelo has been in many lawsuits and even said the Vermont Attorney General took action against him for "violation of the Consumer Fraud Act" and something about him having "deceived consumers".

Don't get taken by this Renzello character nor believe his posts. Just Google him and the name porta rinx and you will find many companies sellling the same rinx for thousands of dollars less.

If anyone wants help building their own porta rinx just email me I am more than happy to help.

Anonymous said...

FYI - This guy is slandering my good name and business. Do not believe his hype, he is full of nothing but BS, check out my web site check out waybackmachine, my web site goes back almost 7 years, you can also check out my letters from past customers, as well as news articles from almost 11 years ago, here is a direct link to my web site, www.PortaRinxandBambini.com
I started from nothing 11 years ago, it is a sin for this so called David Black to be slandering my good name and business, I have worked 10, going 11 hard years building my Porta-Rinx name and buisness, David you are the slime bag! May the good lord repay you ... 10 times fold, so let it be written so let the 10 time fold begin!
To the rest of you, have a safe and fun ice skating season, enjoy the holidays,
PS Brushback when you get a minute give me a call regarding these comments made by David Black 802 479-1880 Thank you, Sincerely yours, Damian J. Renzello Inventor/Entrepreneur

Anonymous said...

Homemade is the key term here this guy Renzello scammed my husband and I and his port rinx product is horrible. We filed a complaint in Vermont and found many of the news articles about Renzello are all TRUE! The Vermont Attorney General's Office confirmed they had to file suit against him in the past for Consumer Fraud and Damian Renzello had to admit consumer fraud!
http://express-press-release.net/35/Fraud%20Against%20the%20Government%20is%20Rampant%20in%20Vermont%20According%20to%20Court%20Documents.php
This is not the first trouble Damian J. Renzello has run into with charges made
against him of unjust enrichment and fraud. Just a few years ago the company My
Buddy Inc. filed suit against Renzello in Vermont Superior Court charging him with
unjust enrichment and theft of intellectual property, the case was apparently
settled with Renzello signing over numerous pieces of intellectual property to My
Buddy Inc.

A few years prior to the lawsuit filed by My Buddy Inc. against Renzello and Damian
J. Products for unjust enrichment; Renzello was at the center of an investigation
and actions taken against him by the Vermont Attorney General; for “violation of the
Consumer Fraud Act”, according to reports made by the Barre-Montpelier Times Argus
newspaper. Stemming from Renzello’s representations of a business enterprise which
according to the Vermont Attorney General’s Office: “his business name and his logo
deceived consumers” into thinking he (renzelo) was affiliated with the State.

Debra L. Leahy, Assistant Vermont Attorney General speared headed the action
stating: “My concerns are that he’s using the name of the state.” Leahy went on to
comment: “It implies some kind of connection and there isn’t any. In our opinion,
that was a violation of the Consumer Fraud Act.”, stated Leahy who is believed
daughter of Vermont US Senator and Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick J. Leahy, who
nominated presiding Judge Garvan Murtha. Deputy Secretary of State for the State of
Vermont said “Renzello was trying to capitalize on an appearance of affiliation with
the state.” According to the Times. “He was clearly trading on the State of Vermont
name” stated Bristow. Renzello attempted to sue the State of Vermont the suit was
immediately dismissed. Renzello was forced to admit consumer fraud and his
fraudulent business operations ceased.

We hope no other persons will be deFRAUDED by this Crook Renzello and his version of the porta rinx We think your better off buy a Nice Rinx